Signing over a car


March 19, 2016

Dear Sir
If you are going to advise people in Spain make sure you have the facts right, in the UK you cannot pass ownership of a vehicle on the “Back of a Fag Packet or scrap piece of paper as you printed in CBN , there is an official document that needs filling in .

Your sincerely
A. Woodcock

Dear Sir
Thank you for your email
Perhaps I did not make myself clear in which case I apologise
In the UK as you know, both parties have to complete the relevant sections on the V5c and send them separately to DVLA; this is alluded to in my article.
The document that I was referring to is that which is passed from seller to owner, so could be called a bill of sale, which normally shows the name and address of both the seller and buyer, the date and the sum that the car was sold for; it is also customary for the expression “sold as seen” to be included. I receive many of these documents some of which are just scraps of paper, the allusion to “the back of a fag packet” was merely a jest, but is not far from the truth in some cases
In Spain, such an informal method is not allowed, hence the compra-venta
I hope that this clarifies the matter to your satisfaction

Graham Shelton

Read more in this week’s print edition or go to e-paper

Previous articleTraffic fines
Next articleAn Irish expat on Brexit


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.