90 injured in Vélez gas blast

Town hall says bar kitchen was operating without a licence since 2013

0
695
The blast, which injured 90, left a mess of mangled tables and chairs outside the bar (Photo: EPA)

AROUND 90 people were injured, five seriously, when a gas bottle exploded in a bar in Vélez-Málaga on Saturday. The incident at around 7pm could have been much worse if a 35-year-old Moroccan woman working the kitchen had not noticed a strong smell of gas and shouted a warning for customers to evacuate the premises.

She and another victim were rushed to the intensive care unit at the Regional Hospital in Málaga following the blast, with a further three people admitted to the ICU unit at the Hospital Comarcal in Vélez-Málaga. All were later reported to be out of danger.

Read more in this week’s print edition or go to e-paper

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.