Shoe store gutted in Almería city

Eyewitnesses describe explosion followed by fierce fire at famous seafront store

0
646
The entire fire brigade of Almería city battled to save lives and extinguish the blaze

By David Jackson

A fault in the electrical wiring of a popular front line shoe shop caused a major fire on Tuesday that required the entire fire brigade of Almería city to put out.

Dozens of residents from the six-storey block where the shop was located were evacuated by the emergency services, some having to be rescued with ladders. Although no serious injuries were reported, five people were taken to hospital for smoke inhalation, including a young boy who had been overcome by fumes in his home above the blaze.

Read more in this week’s print edition or go to e-paper

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.