Man dies after drinking pesticide

Two others admitted to hospital – one in a critical condition

The incident happened at the weekend in the Plaza San Sebastián square in the city centre (Photo: Google Street View)

By Richard Torné

A 42-year-old Spanish man died at the weekend after drinking a lethal cocktail of alcohol and an unknown pesticide, according to reports.

The incident happened in Almería city’s Plaza San Sebastián square on Sunday afternoon.

Two other men, also in their 40s, were rushed to Torrecárdenas hospital suffering from suspected pesticide poisoning. One was admitted to the intensive care unit while the other remains under observation as the paper went to press.

Police say the three mixed an alcoholic beverage with an algicide – a type of pesticide designed to kill algae – in tablet form. All three collapsed soon afterwards. The emergency services tried to resuscitate the most seriously ill victim, a man from Seville, but he was declared dead at the scene.

Read more in this week’s print edition or go to e-paper


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.