Government delays decision to bulldoze El Algarrobico

Move to launch 'hotel demolition commission' lambasted by ecologists and local mayor

0
1013
The Algarrobico will be demolished – but no one is willing to say when

By Richard Torné

The demolition of the illegal Algarrobico hotel in Carboneras will not go ahead until a joint commission of inquiry makes its recommendations, the Government has said.

Environment minister Isabel García Tejerina met on Monday (February 29) with her regional government counterpart José Fiscal to discuss last week’s supreme court judgment on the 20-storey hotel, ruling that the building was illegal as it had been erected on non-urban land.

Since the sentence cannot be appealed the hotel will have to be pulled down.

But Sra García told the awaiting press that the Government “would have to study the ruling and the demolition project” before setting a date for the demolition to avoid “getting its fingers burnt”.

She insisted that both administrations want to ensure the demolition is carried out “with all the (legal) guarantees in place, in the shortest possible time”.

Read more in this week’s print edition or go to e-paper

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.